HISTORY OF CANTIERI TOSI
The construction of the shipyards in Taranto commenced in 1914, these shipyards are a typical example of early industrialization. They were initially sea docks with a few buildings, but after the first decades these were made larger and building techniques were improved. New ships were built and other existing ships were repaired in the shipyard.
At the beginning of the Second World War the shipyards became a pole of great productivity and professional skills, there was a remarkable production of weapons and repair work of navy and merchant ships followed then by a severe crisis due to the dramatic conditions of the country.
After resuming from a period of inactivity, the Navy Yard was expanded and renewed. The end of the War meant a lack of production orders, which also determined unemployment and low salaries, this caused a number of strikes in the shipyards.
Throughout the years laws were made to increase the merchant marine, but inadequate funding penalized the shipyards that became unsuitable for the modern times. It was then decided to definitely close the shipyards in 1990.
This group was in charge of the historical reconstruction of Tosi’s shipyards, of the research of historical, photographic and cartographic material, as well as any other document needed to understand the function and the structure of the different buildings existing in the area.
- Altomare Capuano
- Anna Capuano
- Paula Castro Tabero (Universidad de arquitectura de Granada)
- Jasmin De Palma
- Federica di Martino
- Ismael Marin Soler (Universidad de arquitectura de Granada)
- Annagrazia Minervini
Architectural Design Laboratory IV - Prof. Arch. G. Fallacara